What’s a better way to start off the new year than a healthy breakfast like avocado toast? And what’s better than avocado toast than a portable version that can be made ahead of time and is also low carb?
These avocado toast egg cups are the perfect make ahead breakfast to ensure you eat a healthy breakfast all week long.
I actually tried this recipe with both broccoli tots and regular potato tots because I thought my husband would prefer those. The broccoli tots ended up working MUCH better for this recipe as they form better bowls for the eggs and both of us agreed they tasted better as well.
I am OBSESSED with everything bagel seasoning ($2 at Trader Joe’s!), so I take any opportunity to top my breakfast off with it. I also liked it with the smoked paprika, but you could top it with any seasoning of your choice. This recipe is very versatile – feel free to add cheese, bacon or whatever vegetables you already have in your fridge!
If you want to make ahead for the week, you can freeze the leftovers if you leave out the avocado and garnishes. Reheat by either popping them in the microwave for 60-90 seconds or bake in the oven at 350°F for 20 minutes.
- 32 oz broccoli tots, defrosted
- 6 eggs
- 2 tbsp milk (I used 2%)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 avocado
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional: garnish with smoked paprika and everything bagel seasoning
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Spray a muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- Once the tots have defrosted, press 4-5 in each cup to form a bowl. Bake for 15 minutes.
- While the tots are baking, whisk together the eggs and milk until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- When the tots are done, pour the eggs into each bowl until they are almost full. Top each with the diced red bell pepper and bake for 15 minutes or until the eggs have set.
- Let the cups cool for 5 minutes. Remove from muffin tin
- Top each with 2 thin slices of avocado and your preferred seasoning and serve.