Most people think of quinoa as a grain for lunch or dinner, but it actually is great for breakfast too! It’s filling, has protein and can go sweet or savory. I went savory here because I was craving a soft boiled egg.
I find that the way to a perfect soft boiled egg is to boil water, add the egg and cook for 6 minutes on medium high. Then, immediately place it in cool water that has a few ice cubes in it. Sometimes they are a little difficult to peel – running them under a gentle stream of cool water as you peel seems to help with that. I just love the easiness of a soft boiled egg over a poached egg and you still get the runny yolk!
This bowl is simple – sometimes I don’t have the patience to make something extravagant in the morning when I’m hangry.
- ½ cup quinoa
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 eggs
- 1 slice cooked bacon, chopped
- ½ avocado, sliced
- basil for garnish
- In a small saucepan, add olive oil on medium high heat.
- Rinse the quinoa well under cool water.
- Toast the quinoa in the sauce pan for 1 minute.smashed garlic cloves, chicken stock and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- While the quinoa cooks, bring another sauce pan to a boil. Add the eggs, reduce heat to medium high and cook for 6 minutes. Place the eggs into a bowl with cold water and a few ice cubes.
- When quinoa is finished, remove garlic cloves and fluff with a fork. Separate into the two bowls.
- Top each bowl with bacon and avocado slices. Peel each egg and place one on top of each bowl, sprinkle with fresh basil and serve.