Low carb, veggie packed pizza that has bacon and goat cheese? Sold.
Who knew broccoli tots could be so versatile? First, I used it as the base for my Avocado Toast Egg Cups, now I’m using them to make a pizza crust. Once the tots have defrosted, they become so malleable, it’s not difficult to get them to form into a crust. Just set out the tots to defrost while you bake the bacon.
Speaking of bacon, you could fry the bacon, but I find that even though it takes more time to bake, it’s much easier and way less messy. I put down tinfoil to catch most of the bacon grease, but some still leaked through. This worked out perfectly because i sopped up most of the grease with a paper towel, laid parchment paper down on the baking tray and shaped the crust there. That way the crust didn’t stick to the parchment paper and some of the bacony goodness seeped through and imparted some flavor onto the crust.
This is not as sturdy as a typical pizza, but sturdy enough that I was able to still pick it up with my hands – even enough to do a little pizza fold!
- 16 oz broccoli tots, defrosted (I used Green Giant which has cheddar cheese in them)
- 3 slices thick cut bacon
- 1 red onion, sliced ¼ inch thick
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp coconut sugar (or regular sugar)
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 oz baby spinach
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup 2% milk
- 2 oz crumbled goat cheese
- red pepper flakes for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line a baking sheet with tin foil. Place bacon on the tray and bake for 20-25 mins until brown and crispy. Place on a paper towel lined plate to cool. I let the broccoli tots defrost on parchment paper on top of the oven during this. Once the bacon is out, change the oven temp to 425°F.
- While the bacon cooks, heat 1 tbsp in a large pan on medium heat. Add onions, season with salt and saute for 10 mins. add sugar and cook until they start to caramelize, about 10 minutes. If your pan is getting dry, add water a tablespoon at a time. Add the balsamic vinegar and cook for 2 minutes longer. Set onions aside in a bowl.
- Form the broccoli tots into the shape of a ¼ inch thick pizza crust on top of parchment paper. Place on the same tray the bacon was on and bake for 25 mins at 425°F.
- While the crust bakes, add 1 tbsp of olive oil to the pan that cooked the onions on medium heat. Add the spinach, salt lightly and cook until it has wilted. Set aside.
- Make the sauce. In a small sauce sauce pan, add the butter on medium heat until melted. Whisk in the flour and cook until the flour has darkened. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, approximately 1 minute. Add milk and continue to whisk until the sauce has thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and whisk in goat cheese until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the crust has cooked, top with sauce, wilted spinach and crumbled bacon. Return to the oven for 10 minutes.
- Allow the pizza to cool for 5 minutes before cutting. Cut into 8 pizzas and garnish with red pepper flakes.