For some reason, I had not been buying chicken drumsticks. I was looking to have something other than chicken breasts and I noticed how cheap the drumsticks are! Less than $5 for organic ones! Plus, the dark meat is a lot more forgiving from overcooking.
This honey pomegranate sauce is a take on a ponzu sauce, which is basically just a citrus soy sauce. I added pomegranate because it is full of antioxidents and is an anti-inflammatory. Make sure you buy 100% pomegranate juice. It should taste tart and not sweet. Also, don’t make the mistake I did and not line the baking sheet with tin foil. Unless you want your baking sheet to look like Volcano National Park. Luckily I used a very old sheet pan and not the new ones my husband got me for Christmas.
I served with a simple, lemony salad but this would also be great with rice as well!
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- zest of one lemon
- juice of half a lemon
- basil for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with tin foil.
- In a small sauce pan, add pomegranate juice, honey, soy sauce and garlic on medium heat. Once it starts bubbling, reduce to low and allow to simmer until the sauce reduces by half and coats the back of a spoon. This can take about 30-45 mins.
- Once the sauce has reduced, add the lemon juice and half of the lemon zest.
- Place the drumsticks on the baking sheet and brush with honey pomegranate sauce. Bake for 50 minutes.
- Top with basil and the rest of the lemon zest and serve.