I’m always into the sweet/savory combo for food, but now that it’s starting to feel like summer is close, I’m really loving adding fruit to my meals!
The farmer’s market closest to me opens June 2 and I CANNOT WAIT. The produce section at my closest grocery store is actually pretty abysmal so I’m so excited for some fresh produce. I was planning on making this dish with frozen mango and letting it thaw out because I was not optimistic the mangos would be good (and have you tried to cut an unripe mango? Horrible and tasteless like an unripe avocado), but I was actually pleasantly surprised that it was perfectly ripe! I love the freshness this adds to the dish.
I added jalapenos but it really isn’t spicy at all. Leave some seeds if you like some spice or choose a spicier pepper like a serrano instead. Or just add some hot sauce!
I served this on top of my Coconut Rice and with my Slow Cooker Cuban Pulled Pork!
- 4 cups coconut rice
- 3 cups Cuban pulled pork
- 1 mango, small dice
- ½ cup pineapple, small dice
- ½ large jalapeno, deseeded and small dice
- 2 tbsp red onion, diced
- ½ cup cooked black beans, rinsed
- juice of ½ a lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- cilantro for garnish
- In a bowl, add mango, pineapple, jalapeno, red onion, lime juice, salt and pepper. Mix to combine. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a bowl, add coconut rice, Cuban pulled pork and pineapple mango salsa. Garnish with cilantro and serve.