Please follow and like us:
I love corn in the summer. It’s so sweet and delicious! It’s also perfect for vegan soups, as the starchy content of the corn helps add creaminess and thickness without using cream, butter or flour. I blended the zucchini with the corn, but I feel you want the more traditional slightly yellow color of a corn chowder, only blend the corn.
I think roasting the corn and zucchini adds a depth to the flavors of the soup. I like having some texture in my soup so it’s really satisfying having the corn and zucchini on top. If you’re not vegan, this would be really nice with some pancetta or bacon on top! It’s surprisingly filling for how low in calories it is!
Vegan Roasted Corn and Zucchini Chowder
Serves: 4-8 servings
- 5 ears of corn, husks removed
- 2 zucchinis, diced small
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1-2 tbsp chili powder, divided
- ½ cup yellow onion, diced small
- ¼ cup carrots, diced small
- ¼ cup celery, diced small
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups almond milk
- roasted red pepper flakes for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450 F
- Place corn on a baking dish and coat with 1 tbsp of olive oil, ½-1 tbsp of chili powder, salt and pepper on all sides. Cover with tin foil and bake for 15 minutes.
- While the corn bakes, place the diced zucchini in a bowl and toss with 1 tbsp of olive oil, ½-1 tbsp chili powder, salt and pepper.
- After the corn has baked for 15 mins, remove from oven and turn them to the other side. Cover just the corn with foil, leaving room for the zucchini on the sheet. Spread the zucchini out and bake all together for 10 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil on medium heat. Add onions and cook for 5 minutes or until they have softened. Add carrots and celery and cook for another 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add almond milk, bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
- Cut corn off of the cob. Add half the corn and half the zucchini into the pot and blend with an immersion blender until smooth. Separate soup into bowls and top with the rest of the corn and zucchini and garnish with some roasted red pepper flakes.